51a5c8cfe7e565cbded2bfc81aa74b911c9122a239a74365d1
Why Hire Online Filipino Workers?

This is a sticky post. For newest entries, see the next post.

Would it be worth it to hire online freelance workers from the Philippines? Even Google and Yahoo does not encourage telecommuting anymore. Why should I if the gurus have tested it and seen it does not work?

My observation all these years is: Not all people with an internet connection can work at home. However, there is a very small percent of people who DO thrive, perform well and even enjoy working for you, regardless of physical location.

So my answer to your question is, yes, it would be worth it to hire online Filipino workers because .. READ MORE>

06 August 2010

How to Make Frozen Yogurt at Home, Pinoy Style

My garsh!  What a looong post for something so simple!
Here's a summary up here at the top, if you have more questions then you can read more below.

Summary:
1.  Need milk, store-bought yogurt, container with cap.
2. Put milk in container, put spoonful of yogurt. Seal.  Leave on sink counter, look after 24 hours, then freeze.

More below if you want it detailed.
- -

My online team mate introduced me to this yummy treat.  She kept whining online about wanting another and another serving (she lives beside a mall) until I couldn't stand it and finally ate one with her.  She introduced me to White Hat, which is REALLY excellent. The yoghurt there is the best tasting, so far.  I've tried some more brands, but some are too sour, some too unremarkable.  It's still White Hat that has perfectly captured my preference for sweet-sour foodums.  If my teammate had me taste another brand I don't think I'd be interested, really. I have even made up my silly ritual about White Hat "The only way to eat White Hat is to close your eyes at your first bite so you can really taste everything in your head!"

I started looking for ways to make yogurt because my sister said she saw a carinderia-looking mom-and-pop store in CP Garcia Avenue selling fro-yo.  She wondered how they made it.  So me, I looked for recipes and was shocked it was a no-brainer to make a batch!

The results for this when frozen are of course different from yogurt made by a yogurt maker.  The frozen final output bought outside is creamy and melts longer.  This one is more ... whut.. frosty? icy? maybe because of varying freezer temperatures or a lacking ingredient... I wouldn't know!  All I know is that it tastes great!  And I'm making some more!

Warning to the purists and faint-hearted:  My recipe writing is always freestyle, unprecise and with a big dose of lazy.  Meaning: You can just get an idea how it's done, then do it and repeat and repeat til you perfect the taste to your own liking.

Stuff you'll need:
Container with cap
Milk of your choice
(I use the non-fat, high calcium kind. Evap i haven't tried, and don't intend to, but if you're desperate to start today and that's what's there, then go ahead, just don't blame me if results are strange or radioactive.)
Store-bought yoghurt that indicates "LIVE" culture (live, not taped in the studio, okeh.)
Optional:  Sugar or condensed milk if you like it sweet and you aren't too-health manic
(I use condensed because I'm too lazy to stir and melt the sugar)

Then:
Really, it's just put a spoonful of bought yogurt into milk. Seal. Wait 24 hours.

If you feel motivated to read more about it, here it is with more detail:
1.  Put milk in your container (mine has measurement gradients, which I didn't realize til I made yogurt)  Quantity is your call.
2.  From my experimentation, not from youtube:  Add condensed milk or sugar, according to your preference of sweetness.  Shake or stir well.
3.  Put a tablespoon or 2 of the store-bought yogurt in the milk.  Mix a bit or tightly cap and shake.  Real cooks in Youtube put a tablespoon per liter or gallon of milk. 
4.  If it's a warm day, just leave it on your counter top overnight.  Or bring it out to the sun in the morning then bring in at night.
5.  After 24 hours,  put in the freezer.
6.  A bit later you can eat it as is, or add fruit and cereal and you'll be kilig if you are a fan of mall-bought fro-yo.

Note:  Real cooks explained that the live culture breed optimally in temperatures just a bit higher than our usual PH weather.  So if you think a bit, you can estimate adding a little warmth to your container will do the trick.  Me, I just put it on the sink counter on a warm day since my kitchen has an opaque galvanated roof that lets sunlight in .  The last batch I made the other day (when the weather was cool and balmy due to rains)  I wrapped the container in a clean kitchen towel, suffocated it in an SM grocery bag and let stay til the 24-hours was over.  Perfect consistency again!


Reminders  before you start:
-  No brainer:  Keep everything clean.  Purists do a lot of strange things to kill bacteria by heating etc.  but I figured if your containers are clean, and your box of milk and yogurt are freshly opened, you don't need to O-C things up in cleanliness for this little project.
-  Don't be afraid to experiment.  Change things around to suit you and make things convenient for you.  Just remember what you did so you can do it again or avoid it til you get to your perfect yogurt for yourself.
-  Make small batches at first.
-  If, after 24 hours you find funky stinky globs of milk separated from liquid, that's not yoghurt, that funky stinky spoiled milk. 
-  If you earn your own money to buy the ingredients, throw stuff out if yogurt is too funky for you.  If your mom bought the ingredients and it was a failed project, throw it out and claim you ate it all because it was too yummy.
-  Cooking with milk or tomatoes rule:   Do not dip spoons you tasted with back into the mixture.
-  Have your your fruit and cereal ready because you'll like the first batch so much  you'll regret not having toppings.
-  Set aside a small amount of your yogurt and put in the ref as your live culture, not taped from the studio, next time you make another batch.
- If you're health conscious, after your first batch, read up on which live culture bacteria and health benefit that you want in your next batch of yogurt.

Enjoy! 

Please tell me what happened if you do make this.  Come back and leave a message in the comments section.  Thanks!

Want free updates from OFW Din?
Subscribe to Online Filipino Worker - OFW Din!

No comments:

Post a Comment